Saturday 23 June 2012

How do you study & remember?

Many students comment:
- once they move on to the next chapter, they forget the previous.
- if they study in advance, they forget close to the exams.

So, the golden question. How to remember what you have studied?

https://pixabay.com/en/brain-turn-on-education-read-book-605603/


Similarly, how do you remember 1+ 1= 2 till today? Did you practise that recently?

I believe, the best way to remember for a long period of time is to use it so often that you don't need to spend time memorise it. That is, after some time, you spend time recalling the work rather than memorising them.

I am a believer of "progressive" studying. If you need to study chapters 1, 2 and 3, do it this sequence:
- study chapter 1
- study chapter 1 + 2
- study chapter 1+ 2 + 3
- practice chapter 1+ 2+ 3 often
and when you have time, recall on the bus or when you have time, what you have studied.

I use to do that often, and after a decade, I still remember many of the subjects that I have studied.

I do not memorise them, I recall them when I teach. Of course you need to recall, else you will forget. =)
For subjects e.g. history and geography, which I did not bother recalling for the past decade, I truly forget.

Memorise & Recall. Then you will remember!

For maths, there is an additional step, practice.

Memorise, recall & practice!

All the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment